Monday, May 19, 2014

REMEMBERING MY WONDERFUL CHILDHOOD

May 19, 2014

By Olivene Godfrey

Our friend, Kym, let me read a beautiful booklet that her sister, Denise had written about their beloved grandmother.  They called her Sweet Mamma.  Denise is a good writer and, like Kym, is a beautiful woman.

After reading the booklet, I started thinking about my grandmother Brashear.  She lived on a large middle Tennessee farm with her husband and two sons and six daughters.

My daddy was the youngest child and all of six of those sisters pampered him.  When I was growing up, all of my aunts and uncles were married except two spinster aunts who still lived at home.  One of the aunts loved children and I remember she had a wonderful lap when I was tired.  She also was a wonderful cook and would fix my favorite foods when I visited the farm.  The other aunt was a school teacher who "drilled" me when I was learning the multiplication tables.  She gave me a book when I passed her tests.

We lived in Chattanooga and daddy drove us over a mountain about once a month to visit his family.  My favorite time was when I was alone with my little grandmother.  She was petite and plump and wore long dresses.  Her hair was long and was worn in a bun at the back of her neck.  She loved all the grandchildren and had a marvelous sense of humor.  She would take me and my sisters to the large barn and we would go up in the loft and roll down in the hay.

My favorite time was when grandmother and I would be alone on the big front porch.  We would sit in the porch swing and play games when I was a small child.  I wanted to grow up to be a news reporter and I carried a notebook and pencil (that was before ballpoint pens) every where I went.  I would interview grandmother and she would give me funny answers and we would laugh until our sides ached and we had so much fun.  I wish I had saved that notebook.

I was fortunate to have had such a wonderful childhood.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home