Wednesday, December 12, 2012

REMEMBERING BIRTHDAYS PAST AND PRESENT

December 12, 2012



By Olivene Godfrey

I had a nice quiet 85th birthday this week. Barry had already given me a combination birthday and Christmas gift - my flat TV for my sitting room. But, on my birthday he gave me a big button remote control for my TV. Tam brought me a delicious chocolate birthday cake and a gift bag filled with gifts. I also received a funny birthday card from my sis, Jeanette. Jeanette Greeson, my longtime friend also sent me a nice card. And, I had a bunch of birthday greetings on the computer and telephone. I feel blessed.

My daddy, until his death, always called me no matter where he lived on my birthday. He told me about the cold winter night when I was born in 1927. He and my mother had been married a year and were living in the Methodist parsonage as the tiny town of Pelham, Tennessee didn't have a pastor that year. Daddy said the doctor who was at the house told him to go outside and chop wood. I was a breech baby and one of my tiny arms was broken and mother told me the doctor put my arm in a sling and it healed fast.

Since I was tiny and looked pale as I had a fair complexion, people thought I wasn't healthy. Since I've lived 85 years, I guess I have proved them wrong.

My mother gave me a birthday party every year. The party I remember most was the one of my 13th party. I convinced my mother to let my guests and myself to play spin the bottle, a game where the bottle spinner could get a kiss from the opposite sex if the bottle stopped spinning in front of them. Mother said no kisses but we could walk around the house in the dark. (My mother was very naive - ha.) The following day, one of my girlfriends told me she had let a boy kiss her, and I envied her.

The emotion I felt on my 85th birthday was gratitude to God for sparing my life back in the spring when I was very ill. And the best birthday gift I ever received was the birth of my son, Barry , on December 14th. We have plans to celebrate his birthday which I will tell you about later.

See you next time. (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home