Monday, October 22, 2012

SON BARRY'S PRETTY 1998 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GOT FIRST SCRATCH LAST WEEKEND AND I HAD CHILDHOOD DREAM, OR WAS IT A FORGOTTEN MEMORY?


October 22, 2012

By Olivene Godfrey
Barry bought a pretty, brand new Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe in 1998.  Over the years, he has been very careful where he parks the car, choosing isolated sections of parking lots.  He would be quite upset if he returned to his car, finding another car parked close to his car.
I fully expected that Barry would become hysterical if the car was dented or scratched.  But, when he told me he backed into a pole, getting a small scratch, that, "it's a car, not a person!"  I was sorry to hear of the "scratch" but I'm proud that Barry has over the years, gained some wisdom.
About that dream - my grandparents lived on a large farm in middle Tennessee and I have many memories of visiting them.  I lived with my parents and sisters in Chattanooga and we would travel over the mountains to visit the farm about once a month.  I enjoyed gathering fresh eggs and watching my aunt milk the cows, and all the interesting things for a city child to enjoy.  Often some of my cousins and their parents would visit the grandparents and two spinster aunts while we were there.
I had a special cousin who was my age and we would stroll along the long path to the family "out house".  There was a fence, covered with large juicy purple grapes.  One Sunday, while dressed in pretty little dresses, we "feasted" on the grapes.  When we returned to the house for Sunday dinner, we were covered with grape juice on our faces and pretty dresses.  Our mother's were outraged but our dads tried hard not to laugh at the sight of us.
When we were "cleaned up" we sat at the long dining table covered with a white linen tablecloth, and ate as much as we could.  For Sunday dessert, the aunts helped my grandmother, serve coconut cake and beautiful glasses filled with grape juice!  Needless to say, we didn't drink much of the juice.
My cousins and I may have sometimes "gorged" on the grapes and soiled our clothes and our faces and arms.  I don't remember.  All of the background was true, and not a dream.  Yes, those were good times on the farm year around.  I'm so grateful I have so many memories of a wonderful childhood.
See you next time.
(As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home