Monday, December 03, 2012

CHRISTMAS TREE EVOKES MEMORIES


December 2, 2012

By Olivene Godfrey
As I watched Tam decorate our small Christmas tree a few days ago, my thoughts went back to past holiday seasons.  My sisters and I had wonderful childhood holidays with Santa usually bringing gifts we had requested.
Then, when my late husband, Ralph, and I married, we spent Christmas with both of our families.  Over the years we enjoyed watching the grandchildren play with their toys.  Then while living in Florida, Ralph and I, after 12 years of marriage, received the best gift we ever had on December 14, when our son, Barry, was born, changing our lives forever.
When Barry was a child, Ralph would go into the woods and chop down our Christmas trees.  I would decorate the trees but I was never as creative as my late mother was when she decorated at Christmas.  She would start decorating the day after Thanksgiving and continued doing that until she passed away at the age of 92.
Then Ralph became ill and we didn't do any decorating following his death 10 years ago.  Barry and I just couldn't get in the mood to put up a tree.
Then Tam and Kym came into our lives and encouraged us to put up a Christmas tree last year, which we did.  And, a few days ago, Tam brought the small artificial tree out of a closet and decorated it, and Barry put up a few decorations in the den and kitchen.
Barry brought in my December 10th birthday and Christmas gift, a 26" screen flat television, for my sitting area in my bedroom.  He mounted it on the wall and put up an antenna in the attic.  And I can watch the news and the Today show in the mornings from my recliner now, and other programs.
We aren't sure of our Christmas day plans yet.  But, with the good Lord willing, I'm expecting to have a good Christmas.
See you next time.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home