Sunday, January 02, 2011

NEW YEAR'S EVE VISIT WITH SISTER, JEANETTE. & SON BARRY'S EXPERIENCE WITH SLEEPING UNDER STACK OF BLANKETS & CHILDHOOD MEMORY EVOKED WHEN BARRY DRANK AN ORANGE CRUSH

BY OLIVENE GODFREY,

Because of the snowfall on Christmas day, Barry and I were unable to attend the annual family party at my sister, Jeanette, home in Dalton. So, on New Year's eve, we visited Jeanette and her husband, Charles, to exchange gifts and catch up on family news. Jeanette has recently had her house remodeled and it is beautiful. We received nice gifts and Jeanette gave Barry a container of her chocolate-nut fudge which I think is the best in the world. I don't know if I can resist just a "taste" of it.

Barry used a gift card he received to help pay for an electric blanket he bought at K-Mart on our way home. His had stopped working the previous night and he had used a stack of blankets that night and he stayed warm but he said he felt like he was being crushed by the unusual weight of the bedding. We are still using the electric emergency and expensive heat until our new compressor is installed in the heat pump. And, the house isn't as warm as we would like for it to be in the winter.

While we visited Jeanette, she served delicious sausage balls and cookies. She keeps a variety of soft drinks for the grand kids and I chose a Diet Coke but Barry drank an Orange Crush. He kidded me about the Orange Crush evoking a childhood memory. I was about six or seven and like all of our family members I was a Coke drinker but sometimes I would try other drinks. It was a hot Sunday in rural Tennessee and we were at an all day service at the Methodist church, a white, frame building. The "dinner on the ground" was actually long tables covered with white cloths and was laden with Southern cooked foods. There were several other breaks from the preaching and singing. There were soft drinks for a nickel and iced tea to quench our thirst. My mother was busy taking care of my twin sisters who were active toddlers. Daddy, a Methodist preacher, was supposed to be watching after me. He would be involved with conversations with adults and when I would ask for a nickel to buy an Orange crush in a brown bottle, he would reach in his pocket and give me the nickel. This "act" occurred about eight or nine times that day. When we arrived home late in the afternoon, I was sick as a dog, and threw up. My parents thought I had eaten food that had "gone bad"and started "doctoring me"
They didn't know why I never drank an Orange Crush again until I told them this story when I was an adult. Barry said his Orange Crush was "pretty good" but I have never had a desire to drink one again.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home