Tuesday, June 02, 2009

MOUNDS CANDY BAR & "RAT"CHEESE & IT'S HARD FOR ME TO PACE MYSELF

By Olivene Godfrey

Memory is a funny thing. Just a whiff of an aroma, or a taste of food or drink, can send your mind back to another time. That happened to me a few days ago. Son Barry was preparing to leave to buy our weekly groceries and supplies, and he was running a little late. It had been awhile since I had eaten breakfast so he poured me a dark chocolate Ensure drink. He went to the garage and I began to drink the Ensure. Suddenly, it reminded me of the coconut covered with dark chocolate candy bar. I hadn't tasted the candy in years and I dashed to the garage and Barry was in his car and about to leave and I asked him to buy me a bag of the miniature Mounds bars and he said he would.

When I finished drinking the Ensure, I suddenly remembered when I was 12 or 13 years old and lived with my family in Chattanooga. The girl who lived next door was an only child and was pampered by her parents. I can still remember when I would be at my friend's house and she would order over the phone two frozen Mounds and two fountain Cokes from a nearby drugstore's soda fountain. And would you believe the store employed a boy to deliver to your door such things back then? My mother made delicious snacks for my sisters and me to eat and my friend had a standing invitation to share our snacks. Those were the days!

On that same day, Barry called me on his cell phone and asked, "What is rat cheese?" And, I remembered I had that cheese on the list I made for him. Something reminded me of the cheese that I used to eat with saltine crackers. Barry asked if I wanted Cheddar cheese and I told him I didn't know. So, he ended up by buying Gouda cheese which is very good but not what I called the rat cheese. After Barry and I ate lunch, he looked up rat cheese on the Internet. And, sure enough, there is a cheese named rat cheese which is another name for good ole' cheddar cheese. Barry went back to the store the next day, and came home with a mild Cheddar which was what I wanted. The report says that Cheddar cheese in Southwestern England is the original Cheddar. The cheese has been widely imitated by different counties, including the United States.

Since I haven't had pneumonia or bronchitis in several years, I am afraid I tend to forget that I have COPD and am supposed to pace myself. I have days when I have a spurt of energy and do my chores until I have shortness of breath and am exhausted.
It's hard to do my house chores with one hand on a cane and if I go too long without a break I become totally exhausted.
On those days, I also tend to forget my inhaler and Nebulizer treatments. I am going to make an effort to follow the rules and maybe I can live as long as my Aunt Helen who lived to be 103 years. I really doubt that I'll make it to 100 but I am going to be trying my best to do that.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home