Tuesday, April 21, 2009

THINGS ON MY MIND

By Olivene Godfrey

While I sometimes wish I had lived my youth more wisely, I wouldn't want to be that young again. Adults talk with habitual nostalgia of the "the carefree days" of our youth. There were some carefree moments but they were rarely our happiest times. Before our school days there was the shelter and security of home. But, if you honestly recall your childhood years you must admit most of your time was spent in school. Think back to the fatigue of study and the fear of failures. The tremendous compulsion to make teams, to be popular with your classmates and report card day are hardly carefree memories. And, you were happiest when you arrived on the threshold of adulthood. You had learned but there was nothing carefree about it.

----------------------------------

The writer who attempts satire, that which ridicules persons or things that they do, knows that some readers are going to take every word in a literal sense. Personally, I enjoy reading satire. And Jonathan Swift,s "Gulliver's Travels", in prose, is one of the greatest satires.

----------------------------------

One recent day, son Barry, and I drove over to the Hobby Lobby store in Dalton to purchase artificial flowers for another hanging basket in our den. (We have two baskets of flowers hanging from the exposed rafters in the ceiling of the den.) The new basket and floral arrangement is in a different location of the den. I had envisioned the way I wanted the new flowers to be arranged. Barry helped me select the gorgeous flowers, and when we returned home, he arranged the flowers exactly as I wanted the new hanging basket to look, and I m so proud of it, and of Barry and all he does for me.

---------------------------------------

A few days ago, Barry and I ate a delicious lunch that consisted of "forbidden foods" for me but was so delectable! Barry and a friend had recently eaten this same dinner and he had enjoyed it and told me about it. So, I had made up my mind to give it a try. And, we both ordered the Country Fried Steak dinner as described in Shoneys menu-- "tender steak breaded in our signified seasoned flour, golden fried, then smothered with our creamy country milk gravy.". This came with mashed potatoes. I recalled when my late mother would cook this dinner which was a childhood favorite of mine. I topped off my dinner with a small serving of strawberry shortcake. I've gone off my diet several times lately but my blood sugar remains normal but this week I am back on the diet as I don't want to push my luck.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home