Wednesday, April 08, 2009

SENSE OF HUMOR SHARED BY SON

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Since I often think things are funny that no one else around me does I've decided that I must have a weird sense of humor. And, while I dislike thinking my son has inherited a lot of my weird ways, I do find it delightful that we find most of the same things funny. If you think the following is funny you may be one of our kind of people.

In "Sweet Dreams" by Michael Frayn, two men who've long heard of each other but have never met say:

"I thought you'd look entirely different."

"No...no...I look pretty much like this."

I thought that was so funny I clipped it and put it on my bulletin board and son Barry also shared my fondness for those words. One reason, I may have thought the above funny is that I can relate to it. I often wonder if writers would be better off if their pictures were not used with their columns. For many years I wrote a daily, newspaper column with various pictures of myself. My problem had nothing to do with being too readily recognized. Quite the contrary, I had trouble convincing people I was really me. As in the above quotation people would usually say, "I thought you would look different."
I didn't know if I should apologize, or confess I was an imposter. And, I guess I probably answered as the man in the above at times, that, yes, I look pretty much like this.

People who met me for the first time seemed surprised that I was such a tiny person in those days. Then, I changed my hairstyle frequently. I certainly didn't have to worry about losing my privacy since I had to produce my driver's license or press card to prove that I was I. And, despite the writer's ham in me, I'm basically a private person and am really glad I'm not a big celebrity that lives a gold fish bowl existence.

----------------------------------------

I had a choking episode a week or so ago. I was eating a hamburger steak, which I am not supposed to eat, when a small piece of the meat went down my throat the wrong way. I instantly started coughing and jumped up and son Barry tried to help me, but I ran to the kitchen sink and gave a deep cough and the tiny piece of meat popped out into the sink. The good Lord must have been looking over me as he has when I've had similar episodes. I have had my esophagus stretched twice and take a little purple, very expensive, capsule every day which seems to help most of the time. I try to eat slowly, take small bites, and chew well and not talk while my mouth is full, and that is hard to remember sometimes.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home