Thursday, February 26, 2009

WRITING LIKE DRUG TO SOME

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I went out in frigid weather with son Barry to eat at a buffet restaurant and get haircuts at the Dalton mall last Sunday. Then, I went out in the wicked weather again on Monday to the dentist's office for a cleaning and check-up. I wore so many clothes I could hardly walk, more like wobbling. No problems at the dentist, thank goodness! I have an appointment with my primary care doctor in a few days to discuss the results of my recent lab work. Then, I hope to have my hearing checked at last.

------------------------------

It's been estimated that about one out of 50 adult Americans suffers from graphomania--which is defined in Webster's Unabridged Dictionary as a "morbid desire or mania for writing”. Since we who "suffer"from graphomania are a minority group, it's understandable that the majority of people aren't particularly interested in our ailment and can't understand it.

I think it may be of interest to other people who have this compulsion to know they aren't alone. Writers tend to be lonely people. And, since the remaining 49 out of those 50 Americans usually have a writing phobia (a dislike of writing anything)
they find it difficult to understand the person who is driven to writing and can't understand the state of mind of the person who is. In my discussion with a fellow victim we both felt that at times this is a curse rather than a gift. Many writers of the compulsion type, maybe most of us, cannot say we love writing or enjoy it. It's simply something we have to do. We feel unfulfilled without our regular dose of the writing drug.

An idea hits us and we can't rest until it's on paper. We scratch notes on the back of envelopes or scraps of paper if an idea is born when we are without our notebooks. Then the idea can come in the middle of the night, stimulating us until sleep is impossible. So, this is not a normal state. Writers, successful authors, or more unfortunate ones who have only rejection slips for their efforts are classified as neurotics in the sense that they are driven by a compulsion. (Kooky we may be, but most of us are harmless otherwise.)

For many years I was a "secret writer", with only a few people knowing of my "vice". So, I escaped being known as a "crazy writer"for quite a while. I was amused when I had my first encounter with the eccentric label. A friend told me about meeting a person who expressed a desire to meet and talk to me, but, who was a bit reluctant, saying, "as you know how writers are."

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home