Wednesday, January 07, 2009

NOTES FROM MEMO PAD

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Heavy rain here in northwest Georgia is causing flash flooding in low lying areas. As I write this, we're having a clear lull before another round of rain moves in, according to T.V. forecasters. Since the temperature has been dropping rapidly all day, the forecasters say we may have a wintry mix in the next round. It is supposed to be over tomorrow with a clear
sunny day. We need the rain as we're still in a statewide drought.

--------------------------------

During the Christmas and New Year's holidays, I received cards with notes and some phone calls from friends and relatives I hadn't heard from in a while. One call was from my long-time friend, Jeannette, who seems to have about as many ailments as I do and we compared notes about our health and shared a few laughs. We both agreed that old age is a bummer. Jeannette asked, "When we were young, did you ever think we would end up like this? And, of course, I didn't. I was so busy living an active life, I didn't give old age a thought. Jeannette and I wondered who came up with the description of being old as The Golden Years. I still think the best description of old age is one I've told you about before and it goes that a young man asked an old man how it felt to be old. The old man replied that he felt like a young man who had something terrible wrong with him. That's how I often feel. At the same time, I am grateful that my mind still works, at least, part of the time, and that I am able to do the things I still do for myself.

--------------------------------

I've just read in USA Weekend, (January 2-4, 2009) that hard beds are often prescribed for back pain sufferers but new research finds soft is better. In a Danish study, people with chronic back pain who slept on a body-conforming foam mattress reported less pain and nearly an hour more of sleep at night. than those who sleep on a hard futon mattress. Last summer, I bought a body-conforming foam mattress and I feel as if I am floating on a cloud when I lay on it. Barry has a hard mattress and he's considering buying one like mine.

-------------------------------

During Barry's long holiday break, he began to feel bored and he began to clean house and by the time he returned to his job yesterday, he had the kitchen and bathrooms shiny and clean.
I think it is a form of therapy for him as he also cleans if he is worried, too.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home