Saturday, December 06, 2008

MUSIC IS FOR ALL TO ENJOY

By OLIVENE GODFREY

It seems we are having an early, very cold winter here in northwest Georgia. Son Barry has a bad cold and is feeling miserable today. We think I may have had a cold last week and thought it was an allergy attack and I felt awful for a few days. I am feeling about normal now. Barry and I both have appointments in a few days to have complete eye exams at our eye doctor's clinic in Dalton. A couple of years ago, I had cataract surgery on my left eye and think it may be time for me to have the surgery on my right eye. Also, it may be time for Barry to switch from drugstore reading glasses to prescription ones. We will know in a few days.

---------------------------------------

My niece, Charlene, is raising three of her grandchildren. I had an e-mail from her recently and she said that she is still teaching pre-school chorus at church and she thinks music is a good outlet for all children. Her grandchildren all sing and enter talent contests from time to time. I am grateful that I grew up in an atmosphere of music. What greater legacy can we give our children than training in music appreciation?
A beautiful piece of music speaks to us and we respond- often aching from the beauty of the sounds. Some songs cry out about our aches and our bewilderment. Others tell of our unfulfilled hopes, dreams,love, or our search for the meaning of life itself.

According to experts who publish popular music, teenage music, in particular is supposed to mirror the moods of youth. The music of our youth becomes intensely personal and meaningful to us. Perhaps it is partly because at that time of our lives we don't know how to say what we want to say. And years later we cannot hear the name of a favorite singer or the words of an old song without evoking instant recall of our most cherished memories of yesterday.

Ours is a heritage of singing our faith. There is gladness and joy found in the Psalms--often called the hymnbook of the Bible. And great spirituals speak to us for a better life.

Music is free for all of us to enjoy, anytime, anywhere if we only listen.

See you next time,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home