Thursday, October 30, 2008

CALL ME ANYTHING BUT 'OLIVE OIL'

By OLIVENE GODFREY

As long as I can remember people have been having
trouble pronouncing my name. And I learned at an early age to answer to anything faintly resembling the name. I remember that on two different occasions I was asked to settle arguments
regarding the pronunciation of my name. I don't know how the subject came up, that is, what those folks were saying about me, but I was just happy they were interested enough to wonder how my name is pronounced. (That's the ham in me!)

To explain how to pronounce the name, we probably need to explain to folks with a southern accent, and another explanation to those with a more cosmopolitan accent. Since I say, "Ah" for "O" in words like "olive", and pronounce my "I" like "A". Olivene comes out like "Ah-La-Vene". But, if you don't have a southern drawl, just say, "Olive", and add the "ene". Most people seem to omit the "l"and come out with something like, "Ovaline."

Just one request-- call me anything but "Olive Oil". I went through that bit back in grade school and I didn't think it was funny then and I still don't. Well, how would you have liked it if you were a skinny little gal and people called you, "Olive Oil",after Popeye's girl friend in the comics? I guess there is one good thing about having an unusual name. People at least remember you even if it's as "the one with the funny name". And they aren't likely to confuse you with another Mary or Jane.

This past week, winter weather in northwest Georgia arrived with temps dipping down in the 20s and 30s ,bringing our first frosts of the season. A few days before the front moved in Barry pruned the large patio plants and brought all of the plants inside. Last year, he placed the huge ficus tree in the dining room in front of a window and the plant received plenty of sunshine but made the room too crowded. It also blocked our view of the adjoining farm with its pretty lake and farmhouse and picturesque barn with the mountains just beyond. So, this year, he placed the tree in front of a window in my office. It still gets the morning sunshine, but doesn't dwarf the spacious room.

A week or so ago, Barry and I went through our clothes closets and pulled out winter clothes including coats and jackets that we no longer wear for various reasons. Barry packed the clothes up in large plastic bags and carried them in his pick up truck to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Since the weather turned cold, we have a warm, good feeling about providing winter clothing for people who may need them. Barry said the thrift store people were, as always, glad to receive the garments.

We recently had a wind and rain storm which blew tree branches off the trees in our yard. The drought we're having killed a small maple tree that stood beside our driveway and mail box.
Part of the tree blew over during the storm. So, I called our landscapers and a three-man crew came out and cut down the tree and cleaned the yard which was a relief to Barry who was afraid he would have to do that chore along with his other ones.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home