Thursday, January 01, 2009

HOLIDAY REFLECTIONS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Son Barry and I enjoyed the bountiful Christmas dinner at the
beautifully decorated Dalton home of my sister, Jeanette.
Following the meal, we exchanged gifts. I received a gift card that's burning a hole in my pocket and I hope I can get to Dalton soon to shop. We hadn't seen the grandkids since last year and they have all grown so much we hardly recognized them.
Before Barry and I headed back home, Jeanette loaded us down with left-over goodies which we continued to enjoy for several more meals. Jeanette gave Barry a tin of her delectable chocolate fudge. I couldn't resist eating a couple of pieces of the candy.
I have eaten more sweets than I normally do during the holidays but my blood sugar has remained normal and I haven't gained any weight. I confess it took all the will-power I could muster not to pig-out on that chocolate fudge. I think eating tiny portions of the forbidden foods is the secret.

Jeanette's husband, Charles, was enjoying their new flat large T.V. while we were there on Christmas day. We know several people who have recently bought the popular flat televisions
including Barry who also bought one for his den. He installed his two year old large flat screen T. V. in our den where I watch television. And I enjoy it. I also like that these televisions don't take up much room.

One day during the holiday week, Barry and I had lunch at an interesting buffet restaurant in Dalton. It is appropriately named, The Filling Station", and is located in the Historical Downtown Dalton Revitalization Area. The restaurant occupies a completely renovated turn-of-the -century gasoline station.
If you like southern food with a taste of nostalgia, you would like this buffet. We enjoyed looking at all of the old road signs on the brick walls.

Barry and I still have whatever our cold-like symptoms and coughing has been with us about six weeks. We have talked to several people who also have this condition. For a day or two, we feel fine and then the symptoms strike again. Some people think it is caused by the very cold weather alternating with spring like days we have been having here in northwest Georgia

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home