Thursday, April 02, 2009

REMEMBERING BEING HOMESICK THE FIRST TIME

By OLIVENE GODFREY

I liked visiting my paternal grandparents on their Tennessee farm. And during my ninth summer my parents said I could spend a couple of weeks with my grandparents and two aunts. My mother seemed a bit apprehensive as they drove away, back to our home in Chattanooga on that Sunday afternoon. I couldn't understand as I just knew I would be fine and have a great time.

All went well until Monday afternoon along about dusk when I'd helped the aunts gather eggs and followed them around as they completed the day's chores. I was standing on the back porch, leaning against the wall, when suddenly I began to sob. Not being an emotional child or one who cried easily, my aunts were startled. They took me inside and gave me a soft drink which they never drank but kept on hand when I was there.

Then, all during my stay they did everything they could think to entertain me. They took me to a nearby town and bought me a new dress, which was much longer than the ones my mother sewed for me, but I loved it. Then my grandfather and one of the aunts, knowing my love for watermelon, each purchased a melon for me, not knowing the other one had bought one, too. I was thrilled and thought it was very funny. Still, at times during the day, and always at night, as I snuggled down into the feather bed, and while I wouldn't put it in words, I wished I was home.

I'd written my parents telling them what a great time I was having. So, they called on the weekend when they were supposed to have come for me and said since I was having such a good time, they were going to let me stay another week. My heart sank but with my grandparents and aunts looking on,all I could do was to say something positive like, "Oh, boy!",when inside I was suffering from homesickness.

Somehow, I got through that week and I was so happy when I did get back home. After that year I spent many weeks on the farm and with other relatives without getting homesick. But, I've never forgotten that first trip away from home.

A bit of advice to public speakers from Earl Wilson column, "Biscuits and speeches are improved by shortening."(Sig Sakowicz)

And from Grit,"Money doesn't buy happiness but it pays for the illusion."

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home