Thursday, April 30, 2009

SPRING IS HERE & SON BARRY'S FALL & SWEET SOUTHERN ICED TEA WITH MINT

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Springtime in all its green glory has arrived in northwest Georgia. Last week, son Barry carried the plants that had spent the winter in the garage out to the patio. The asparagus fern has never in its 31 years of life been as large and as pretty as it is now. But, if the Good Lord hadn't been with Barry during the moving of the fern, we shudder to think how different we would feel now. Barry stumbled when he was moving the fern to the patio and dropped the large plant onto the concrete garage floor and then he fell, too. He was able to catch himself from serious injury by breaking the fall with his arm. He only had a couple of minor scrapes on his arm. The fern's clay pot was smashed and Barry went to Ace's in Chatsworth and bought a large plastic container and successfully re-potted the root bound fern in it and it is doing great now.

Barry also planted a lot of wild flower seeds in a large container on the patio. He takes good care of the plants since I am unable to do now. He has a green thumb and likes to see the plants thrive with help from Miracle Grow.

------------------------------------

We drink sweet, iced tea year round here in the American South. And, during our hot summers, we drink lots of the delicious brew. Nowadays, I sweeten tea with Splenda and add a dash of lemon to add zest to the flavor. I recalled that when I was a child, my mother would use a fresh mint sprig to introduce the flavor and aroma through the nose. I later learned that the mint was one of the ingredients of the mixed alcohol drink, Mint Julep. Being Methodist tee-to-totalers, we abstained from drinking alcohol drinks and the mint in the tea hit the spot on a humid day.

-----------------------------------

Since I rest and take cat naps in my recliner, I need support for the back of my neck. I had literally worn out one that my late mother had made for me. Recently, Barry ordered one from Amazon for me which works great when I stretch out in the recliner.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home