Sunday, June 07, 2009

LET IRRITATIONS OFF LIKE STEAM

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Sometimes we are told that we shouldn't let irritations bother us. We should be passive, always smiling, no matter what happens to us. Now, those who go around with chips on their shoulders and who seem to believe that every comment made in their presence is a personal insult aren't my favorite kind of people. But, I became irritated by people who go around, "Ho, Ho, HA HA'ing" constantly never seeming to have a bad day. Maybe I just envy them. But, often I feel as if they aren't for real either.

Normally, I 'm fairly good natured. But, I have days when everything seems to go wrong. And on such days it's no easy matter to be gentle and passive. Surely even the mildest individuals get a bit irritated sometimes. Then some days we start thinking about an injustice and get upset. We know it's trifling to let such things get under our skin. But, surely even the mildest persons get a bit irritated sometimes. There is the worker who wants to punch his boss in the nose. But, he doesn't dare. So, he goes home and snaps at his wife and kids. Or, he may turn his aggressiveness on himself.

If we don't have an outlet for our angry feelings, they can, after awhile, become destructive, bringing on ulcers, high blood pressure, worry and other ailments. Then, they may be turned upon by other people in the form of rudeness, gossip, nagging, or fault finding. So, it's obvious we need a safety valve for our excess of emotional steam. Many people find that physical exerciser is a good way to drain off aggression. Long walks, push-ups, sports where you can smash something like golf, tennis, bowling, or punching the bag, are good ways to relieve tension.

I think women have intuitively recognized the value of heavy muscular exercise when they are upset. Many of us re-arrange the furniture or go on a house-cleaning binge. If I'm upset while cooking,I bang pots and pans and slam cupboard doors like mad. Then, another good device, one which I use most, is to vent your anger in writing. Write a letter to the person who has frustrated or angered you. Don't leave anything to the imagination. Get him or her told off good, everything you've been thinking. But, then burn that letter! (You'll be even more upset if you mail the letter.)

But, for me and I'm certain countless others, work remains one of the best therapies of all, not only for getting rid of aggressive feelings for the periods of sorrow, as work is also the best tranquilizer for a troubled spirit.

__________________________________________________


Thanks to Barry, I have discovered the magic of headphones especially when you're hard of hearing as I am. I have trouble understanding dialogue in modern movies and words of song on musical TV programs. Music heard with the headphones sounds like I am at a live concert, especially the instrumentals.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home