Sunday, February 05, 2006

GOOD NEWS FROM FLORIDA KIN & NOTES FROM MEMO PAD

Bu OLIVENE GODFREY

We received good news from West Palm Beach, FL last week.
My late sister's daughter-in-law, Annie, keeps in touch with us via e-mail and phone calls. Last year, Joan's oldest daughter, Connie, was given a devastating diagnosis of cancer with only a 20 percent of survival. Connie began the long ordeal of
cancer treatments and the removal of a kidney. There were moments of despair but Annie says Connie never gave up and
was fiercely determined to beat the odds the doctors had given her. She had the loving support of her family and Annie cared for Connie after surgeries and treatments and went to doctor conferences with her. Connie's Georgia cousin, Charlene,
had Connie's name on her church prayer list which we feel helped her. Connie recently had a full body scan and she is clear of cancer and is back at work full time and planning a trip
with a friend. God is good.

Barry is enjoying a new wide screen High Definition TV with Charter digital cable in his den. He said today that,"Pa would have loved this TV and sharp picture." It is true that Ralph enjoyed television more than anyone I have ever known and loved watching football and baseball games on TV. He would shout at the players as if they could hear him and woe is anyone who
got between him and his view of the TV screen or interrupted him for anything short of an emergency.

As I dusted furniture and my bric a brac that covers every flat surface in my house, I thought of how I have mixed emotions
about dusting. I don't like the act of dusting but I love
looking at my treasures that all have special meanings for me. And, I like for the pretty things to be shiny and clean. So,
it is a job I do once a week regardless of how I feel.

With the cold weather we are having today, the birds have started flocking back to our bird sanctuary and eating the bird seeds Barry puts out for them. The squirrels haven't bothered them this year and Barry says they have plenty of nuts this year and aren't interested in the birdseed.

The poinsettia I got back in December is still in bloom but
the leaves aren't as vivid as they were at their height of beauty. The plant still looks healthy but Barry says he doesn't believe it will last much longer. I have enjoyed it very much and will miss it.

On my diabetic diet, I am allowed a favorite dessert once a week which I usually eat on Sundays. Today, I chose the Village's moist strawberry cake with real strawberries and it is yummy.
See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home