Saturday, January 07, 2006

FRUSTRATED ABOUT NO FLU SHOT & NEW MEDICARE PRESCRIPTION PLAN

By OLIVENE GODFREY

It was a tiny news item in the local newspaper this morning
but it caught my attention. The item summed up the problem in the first brief paragraph and I quote, "Some elderly and
disabled people eager for a flu shot this winter have been frustrated because they can't get it where nearly half of patients usually do: from the family doctor."

The article went on to explain that many doctors complain
much of this year's vaccine went to supermarket and discount
chains instead of medical offices. And that is a problem
for some of us old people as we are most at risk of life-threatening flu but aren't always healthy enough to wait in store lines.

When I saw my doctor in the fall she was complaining about the same things but thought she would eventually get some flu vaccine. But, as of today, I haven't had a flu shot and don't know if I will be able to get one. I have been trying to avoid crowds as much as possible. I guess I 'll just have to hibernate
at home until spring.

My other gripe these days is about the complicated new Medicare
Prescription Drug Program. After reading all I could find, which was a lot, on the plan, I enrolled in an insurance plan.
All of the mountains of printed materials on the plans said that if we enrolled by the end of 2005, we would be eligible
January 1, 2006, for the benefits. As of today, I don't have a prescription card or anything else. I understand that the insurance companies are very busy processing the enrollment forms, etc.... So, I won't complain too much if I get my needed information soon.

I don't know if all of this confusion is due to incompetence
or a conspiracy to get rid of all of us old folks. I'm afraid it is going to be a long winter if we can survive it.

See you next time, I hope!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home