Monday, December 26, 2005

A BITTERSWEET CHRISTMAS

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Son Barry and I enjoyed a delicious Christmas day dinner at the home of my sister, Jeanette. Her six great-grandkids
kept things lively, especially at gift-exchange time.
Barry and I had eaten a Christmas eve dinner at our home.
And, after eating two big meals, we will need to watch our diets this week.

Late Christmas afternoon, we received a phone call that saddened us. My late husband, Ralph's brother, Ray, had died at his Gainesville, GA home. His daughter, Joyce Ann, called to tell us about Ray and she expressed the thought what better day than Christmas to pass away. I agreed and said Ray and Ralph
would have a reunion, too, as well as being with their parents
and kid brother, "Jiggs".

Later, my thoughts turned to the close bond that Ralph and Ray shared over the years. They grew up during the Great Depression and fought and played like brothers usually do when they are children. They were both World War 11 veterans and like most of their generation were strong men. Each of the brothers had their own distinct personalities but they also shared many interests.

Shortly before Ralph died in August, 2002, Ray came by the house to visit him before he kept an appointment in Chatsworth.
Ralph suffered from Parkingsons and mild dementia. That day, when Ray entered the room, Ralph looked up and said softly,
"Hi Buddy." While Ralph's mind grew cloudy, he seemed alert as he thanked Ray for his visit. And, then, later, when Ralph died, Barry and I and family members, went to a funeral home
to receive friends. I remember when Ray stood beside the
casket and gently touched Ralph's hand and said in a soft voice,"Hi Buddy. And I thought that when they first saw each other in Heaven, they would greet each other with a "Hi Buddy."

Still on a somber note-- Ralph's employer and good friend for 32 years died last week. Barry and I went to a funeral home to pay our last respects to Bill Elrod and remembered the
many kindnesses he showed Ralph over the years. He would often say that, "if Ralph can't fix it, it can't be fixed," and he will be greatly missed by his family and host of friends.

On a light note-- Forgive me if I sound like a very proud mother which I am. Barry was stunned last week at his shop's Christmas dinner when he was presented with a gold Seiko watch to mark his tenth anniversary with the company. He says he hasn't been as excited over a gift since he was a kid and got his first bike for Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home