Saturday, October 15, 2005

OCTOBER'S BRIGHT BLUE WEATHER SPARKS THOUGHTS OF FALL

By OLIVENE GODFREY

"O suns and skies and clouds of June together,

Ye cannot rival for one hour,

October's bright blue weather."

By Helen Hunt Jackson.

As I write this, we are having a perfect October day with
blue sky and warm sunny weather. The temperature is supposed to dip down into the 40s tonight and there is a fallish nip in the air despite the green grass and foliage still alive.
We still don't have any colored leaves and some of the leaf experts say we will, in time, have a flamboyant show of leaves this year. On the other hand, some of the experts say the leaves will just turn brown and fall to the ground.

Barry hasn't brought the house plants inside yet as they are still pretty and the days are warm. A tropical tree has grown so tall and large that Barry will have to trim it back before bringing it into the house.

We have been preparing in some ways for this coming winter since last spring when we had an energy saving top of the line electric heat pump installed in our house to replace the old propane gas furnace. Since the price of propane has soared, we hope we will save money on heating costs this coming winter.

During the summer, I had some winter garments dry cleaned and bought two new pairs of winter shoes with soft, safety soles.
After I fell in April and injured my right shoulder and arm, I gave away all of my pretty high heel shoes. I kept a few pairs for sentimental reasons.

---------------------------------

A wonderful aroma wafted through the house one recent morning.
I relaxed in my recliner in the den while a beef pot roast cooked in the Crock pot and blueberry muffins baked in the oven. The muffins were for son Barry who loves them.

I thought of the previous night when I had slept only a few hours. It was one of those nights when I have a problem sleeping as mu mind raced, skipping from one topic to another, I thought of the things I needed to do today and I knew from experience that I feel bad when I don't get enough sleep.

As I tossed and turned in the wee hours of the morning, mu thoughts turned to my upcoming 79th birthday in December.
And, I wondered,"When did I get so old?" I enjoyed my young adulthood years and had a great time in my middle years.
Actually, I didn't really feel old until a few years ago when doctors began their advice to me with, " At your age...."
I remember I wanted to shout, "What do you mean? I'm NOT old, for goodness sakes." About that time, I started looking at the obits as soon as the morning paper arrived and was shocked by the number of deaths of people who were younger than I am.

And then I remembered the dear young adults who have told me they can't believe I am as old as my age. For, after all,
we stay young forever in our minds.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home