Friday, September 30, 2005

ACCEPTING OLD AGE & AFTER-LIFE

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Accepting old age is an important stage of life. My life has been different in each decade I have lived. For several years I have savored life's pleasures, as the song goes, " ...the days grow shorter when you reach September..."and life is more precious to me now.

It helps me to think of this stage of my life as moments leading to a wonderful afterlife adventure. But, I admit that, despite a strong faith in God and Heaven, I have problems with this time as I don't want to leave behind loved ones and my home.
I was thinking today of my Mother's feelings on this subject.
In one of our daily conversations before she died five years ago at the age of 92, she confessed one day that despite her faith, she had problems facing the end of her life. She loved life more than anyone I have ever known and she created beauty with her crafts and florist work. Each holiday right up to the end of her life, she made crafts and decorations for her home and often for my sisters and me,too. She always had a project ahead of her and while she had the wisdom of a long life, she also remained young at heart. And sometimes I think, if she had problems with old age, too, I shouldn't worry too much about it.

Sometimes I would be worried about something I couldn't do anything about and she would say, "Stop worrying about it.
Things usually work out okay." And she was right, as usual.

I think it is only natural to have a fear of the unknown of
the great adventure awaiting us. I hope I will accept it peacefully.

For many years, I related to these words by Edna St. Vincent Millay -- "My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light." I no longer burn my candle at both ends which was mostly writing late at night. As part of my lifestyle change of old age, I take life easier and am enjoying my retirement.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home