Monday, August 01, 2005

NOTES FROM THIS WEEK'S MEMO PAD

By OLIVENE GODFREY

The oppressive heat wave we had recently was broken by thunder storms with torrential rains last week. It is still summer time so it is hot but so far not like the intense heat we had for a while. But, this is the first day of August which is usually the hottest month of the year so we aren't out of the woods yet.

Recently, I heard a brief ad-lib conversation between two news people on television. The woman said that she was confused about when to use the plural, "fishes." The male news person said that you use the plural when you refer to different species of fishes. I may have known that at one time but since I was a student in the dark ages, I could have forgotten it.

One recent night, I ate the best steak I think I have ever eaten. It was a fillet mignon with KC Masterpiece steak seasoning with garlic rubbed into the steak on both sides. The weather was very hot so son Barry cooked the steaks on the indoor grill and he cooked them to our idea of perfection, pinkish inside and brown on the outside. The steak was tender and juicy and made me feel great to be alive and able to eat the steak.
We have discovered that the indoor grill is great for cooking catfish fillets and Barry says he recently found out that catfish contains the good fish oil so it is good for us, too.

FOR THE LADIES-- Have you ever had a favorite lipstick shade and discover that it had been discontinued by the cosmetic company that made it? That seems to happen to me a lot of the time.

After eating lunch yesterday at the Village cafeteria, Barry and I came home and I rested a while. Then Barry drove me to the Dalton mall to get a haircut. This past weekend, Georgia had a no sales tax sale and while we were early at the mall, it was already getting crowded. I had a haircut that was done in less than 10 minutes at a reasonable price. I felt fairly well but we decided to leave before the crowds came in.

I hadn't thought of shredded wheat cereal in a long time. On the way home from the mall on Sunday, we stopped at the pharmacy in the big supermarket, Ingles, in Chatsworth, to pick up a prescription. The previous night I had dreamed of shredded wheat and decided to buy a box. Last night, Barry and I ate servings of the old standby cereal and agreed that it still taste great and is good for you. I am still eating oatmeal for breakfast so may start eating the shredded wheat cereal for snacks.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home