Monday, August 29, 2005

WAITING FOR KATRINA, A FAREWELL TO MY CAR & PEAR TREE"S CHARACTER

By OLIVENE GODFREY

As I write this, Katrina hasn't hit land yet but we have a wind advisory for our area tonight and tomorrow which worries us as we are afraid a tree might fall on the house. Also, often strong winds knock out our power and we worry about our frozen foods.

The family of my late sister, Joan, still live in West Palm Beach, Florida, and I called, Annie, Joan's daughter-in law last week and they survived Katrina and Annie said the worse of the storm hit south of them.

--------------------
I sold my car last week. Or, Barry sold it for me. I had no sentimental attachment to the car. I did feel a pang of regret as the new owner drove away in the car. I felt that I had closed a door on the part of my life when I practically lived in my car. I don't regret the decision not to drive again as I am not as alert as I should be to drive now. But, I will miss my independence as I dislike having to depend on others for my needs.

-------------------

Our pear tree is loaded with pears this year. Most years, the tree gets bit by an early spring frost. The tree was small and shaped pretty when we moved here 27 years ago. Now it's large and the branches seem to be reaching for the sun. Barry and I discussed it recently and we decided the tree's irregular shape gives it character so we won't have it pruned anytime soon. As delicious as the pears are we could never eat all of the fruit. So, we give away a lot of the pears and the varmints in the yard and sky feast on the ones that fall on the ground.

I tried to make pear preserves one year and it was a disaster. My late mother, and a neighbor, both tried, too, with the same results. So, evidently, the pears are only good for eating fresh off the tree.

----------------------

Yesterday (Sunday), I felt pretty chipper for a change, so Barry drove me to a nice restaurant in nearby Dalton and we enjoyed a delicious, early lunch. Then we went to the mall. We had brought along my wheelchair so Barry got his exercise by pushing me around the mall. We spent some time at Sears, looking at new refrigerators. Barry is considering buying a new fridge for the kitchen. The old one is noisy and not energy efficient. WE have a very old fridge in the garage which is still going strong. But, it doesn't look so good. All I ask for in a new fridge is that it have an ice maker. My arthritic hands has a hard time with the ice cubes in trays. I know young folks will wonder how I have lived nearly 79 years without an automatic ice maker. It just worked out that way.

Before we left the mall, I got a quick haircut and my hair is now really short but will require little maintenance which is how I like it, especially at this time in my life.

When we got home, I was feeling really bad with several ailments acting up. I medicated myself and then rested a while in my recliner and recovered somewhat before bedtime.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home