Saturday, October 08, 2005

SILENCE IS GOLDEN & MOM & SON LOOK A-LIKE & MORE

By OLIVENE GODFREY

The silence in our house is indeed golden these days. It
started when son Barry purchased a new refrigerator recently for our kitchen. The new fridge hardly makes a sound. But, our old one which was about 30 years old sounded like a freight train going through the house. And, to make matters worse,
the fridge motor ran almost constantly. So, there were only a few moments a day when we had any silence.

I don't know why we put up with it for so long. It still kept the food reasonably cold but mot as cold as the old garage fridge which is 43 years old. Since the new fridge is large and spacious inside the freezer compartment and fridge, Barry and a co-worker hauled the old one to their shop and Barry reports that it is still going strong.

When I am resting now in the den or working in my office or kitchen, I can't believe how quiet it is in the house. Every once in a while, I will hear a creaking sound which is probably the house settling down.

-------------------------------

Almost every time Barry and I go out in public together, someone will comment on how much we resemble each other in the face.
While I was having a haircut in a mall beauty shop recently, the operator looked at Barry who was waiting on me, and said,
"You have to be her son as you all look just alike."

One of our final conversations with my late husband, Ralph, occurred when he spent his last few weeks in a nursing home.
Barry was standing on one side of Ralph's bed and I was on the other. Ralph looked up at us and said, "You all look just alike." Barry ad I laughed and reminded him that people often tell us that. It is a nice memory for us.

-----------------------------------------

Lately, I have read several articles on the subject of dieting.
I never paid much attention to such articles until a little over a year ago when I was diagnosed with Diabetes, Type two.
The one that interested me the most was about a woman who had lost a lot of weight by rejecting fad diets and coming up with her own no-diet. I fit in that category. I knew that my diet had to be one I could live with the rest of my life. I have a couple of books on diabetes and have learned which foods are forbidden on my diet. So, I have my own diet plan which has worked for me until recently when I can't seem to lose the final ten pounds I need to lose. One article said this happens because of changes in our metabolism. I decided to omit borderline foods from my diet and to increase my exercise time. I still haven't lost the weight but am holding my own and hope that in time, I will be able to achieve my ideal weight.

Since I have been on this diet, I have just about stopped baking the blue berry muffins and chocolate brownies that Barry loves so well. Since he is slender and doesn't have a problem with sweets, he has missed them. He bought me two new muffin pans and I plan to bake him some blueberry muffins one day this coming week. I will sample one of them. Hey, if I am going to the trouble to make them, you better believe I am going to eat at least one muffin.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home