Sunday, December 18, 2005

CHRISTMAS IS COMING...READY OR NOT!

By OLIVENE GODFREY

With Christmas almost here, I am not prepared for it yet. In the past, I purchased and wrapped gifts before Thanksgiving.
I decorated the tree and did all the other Christmas things well before the big day. I don't know why I let Christmas slip up on me this year. But, with Barry's help, I am almost on schedule now and should have everything ready by Christmas day.

We are planning to go to my sister, Jeanette's home for a dinner and party on Christmas day. I will have turkey breast and trimmings for our dinner here on Christmas eve. I know, I said I would not do as much as I did Thanksgiving, and I am trying to keep things simple, so maybe I won't be too exhausted
after the holiday. I will take some food to Jeanette's house and all of the family will need to pitch in and help since she recently had surgery.

A nice part of the Christmas season is receiving cards and notes from long-time friends and relatives that we don't see often.
I had a serendipity yesterday when my good friend and neighbor,
Genevelyn Hope, stopped by to deliver a gift from a mutual friend of ours, Ruth Cox. Ruth miraculously recovered a while back from a serious illness. She is a talented crafts person and a former newspaper colleague of mine. With the help of Genevelyn and Barry (unknown to me), Ruth had put a picture
of our house and our crape myrtle in a glass paperweight.
The crape myrtle, in full bloom in the picture, holds a special meaning for me. It was planted in memory of my mother who passed away five years ago. The crape myrtle bush was a gift from my late husband's brother, Ray, and his wife, Joyce. The
paperweight is now a cherished addition to my collection.

On these cold days with the ground often frozen, the flocks
of birds who visit our yard need birdseed put out for them
Barry put some out this week and so far the pesky squirrels
haven't discovered the birdseed. But, we feel sure they will before too long. Meanwhile, we are enjoying watching
the birds feed on the patio.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home