Monday, October 31, 2005

COLD SNAP CAUSES SCARE & S. FL KIN OKAY AFTER STORM & MORE

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Our first cold morning of the season nearly scared the wits out of me. It was about six A.M. and I had just entered the kitchen to start preparing breakfast when I heard the scary chirping sound of a smoke detector in my office which is next to the kitchen.

The next instant, I noticed a burnt smell in the air. And,
I thought the house was on fire and my heart starting pounding and I yelled for Barry who hadn't got up yet. He rushed into the office and the smoke detector stopped chirping. Barry tried to calm me down and explained that our new electric heat pump was using axillary heat because of the cold temp outside. He said the burnt smell was the "newness" wearing off the coils, and that it happened because the heat pump hadn't had to use the extra heat until that morning. That was a relief but the experience left me shaken all day.

----------------------------------

Yesterday, I called my nephew, Rex, and his wife, Annie, in West Palm Beach, FL to find out how they and other S. FL relatives survived the hurricane, Wilma. They reported they didn't have too much damage and were lucky that two uprooted trees in the yard fell away from the house. They were without electric power five days which was an unpleasant experience.

Annie told me that she and Rex were considering selling out and moving somewhere that would be free of hurricanes as they are so weary of the storms.

Later, I spoke with my sister, Jeanette, who lives in nearby Dalton, GA., She said that we are fortunate to live in northwest Georgia which has four distinct seasons and we rarely have severe weather. She added that the scenery is beautiful, too, and I agree with her observation.

----------------------------------------

Last week, I watched an interesting interview with 91-year old Jack La Lanne, who was exercising and eating a healthful diet before almost anyone in our country. He says he eats fresh veggies and fruits, grains, and eats egg whites and fish for protein. He still looks fit and healthy and seems to have a very positive attitude of life. He doesn't eat any sweets or red meats. He is an amazing man. But, while I believe in exercise and a healthful diet, I also believe that moderation in all things is best. And I don't feel guilty if I occasionally enjoy a small steak or favorite dessert.
See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home