Monday, October 24, 2005

HOME GROWN TOMATOES FOR THANKSGIVING DINNER ?

By OLIVENE GODFREY

After hearing the weather forecast for cold weather this week,
son Barry decided yesterday to bring the house plants in from the patio to the inside of the house and the garage. He pruned the plants that were all huge now and we hope they won't be damaged by the sudden change in their environment.

He had grown a tomato plant in a large pot on the patio at the first of the summer. The plant was thriving and produced one round of tomatoes and then it was stricken with a fungus and Barry cut the plant down to the top of the soil. Soon a tiny plant appeared and then it began to grow and is now large with tomatoes forming on it. So Barry will leave it on the patio to get the sun and bring it in the garage at night and see what happens to the tomatoes. It would be amazing if we could have fresh tomatoes for Thanksgiving day.

-----------------------------------------

For the first time in a while I went to the supermarket to shop for groceries with Barry this past Saturday. The store is huge and I got in more walking than I wanted but using my cane helped me walk. Since I fell last April and broke my right shoulder and arm and upset my balance, I have made a grocery list each week and Barry, bless his heart, buys the groceries and does a good job of it.

This week, I wanted to buy some frozen and non-perishable foods for our Thanksgiving day dinner and wanted to select them myself.
We bought a small Butterball turkey breast and some other items for our dinner. When we stocked up on Diet Cokes and Sprites, we noticed the six-pack cartons of the original small size Cokes.
I recalled when the small Coke was the only size made by the company and it costs a nickel. A six-pack of Cokes was a quarter. And, in those days, when my late husband, Ralph, and I were newly weds, we could only afford one carton a week.
That was following World War II and we lived frugally in a cold water flat. But we were young and had some good times back then.

This past Sunday, we had another bright blue October day and Barry and I went to town to eat lunch. I wore a winter jacket and it felt good as the weather was cold and crisp. We saw some colorful foliage along the side of the road. The experts tell us that if the cold weather continues and we have a frost that the color show will arrive--finally!

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home