Sunday, December 11, 2005

OOPS! I goofed--I AM 78, NOT 79

By OLIVENE GODFREY

After reading last week's column, my sister, Jeanette, called to inform me that I am 78, not 79, as I had written in this space last week. I can't figure out how I made this mistake. It wasn't a typo but I really thought I was going to be 79 on my birthday this week. I am worried now that the men in the little white coats will be coming for me soon. It is nice to know that I am a year younger than I had been thinking I was though. I had a good birthday and Barry took me to the Western Sizzlin for lunch where you can eat free on your birthday.
I ate a delicious meal from their bountiful buffet. The weather was very cold but I dressed warmly and made it fine.

_________________________________________

I read years ago about an elderly woman who was having to leave her home to enter a nursing home. On the day she was to leave the house she loved so much, she stepped outside and collapsed from an apparent heart attack. The woman survived but her friends believed she suffered from a broken heart.

I was fascinated with an article I read a few days ago in
Prevention magazine about a study on broken hearts that was conducted by Johns Hopkins cardiologists. The study was identified as "broken heart syndrome" last February. Poets and writers of fiction have long written about broken hearts bringing on heart attacks, even death. This condition the study found was when sudden emotional stress stuns cardiac muscle and causes temporary heart failure. As the article pointed out, it's a discovery that has changed the way doctors diagnose and treat heart attacks.

Lead researcher, Ilan Wittstein, M.D., discovered the phenomenon
when he treated a woman who had apparently had a massive heart attack. The article went on to say that often the heart muscle never recovers but after a few days the woman's heart was back to normal. Wittstein and his team tracked 19 similar cases over four years in which heart symptoms had occurred following a stressful event. Immediate treatments saved these people's lives but ultimately their hearts healed on their own.

The article which is in the January, 2006 issue goes into more detail of this fascinating subject.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home