Monday, January 16, 2006

TRIPLE WHAMMY STRIKES & OTHER STUFF

BY OLIVENE GODFREY

I've been under the weather, to put it mildly, the past week.
I had a wicked spell with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and arthritis pain in my knees and suffered from insomnia. But, I am happy to report that I awakened this morning, feeling rested and well, and ate a good breakfast, took a refreshing shower, and did a few chores and am now working at my desk for the first time in a while.

As I went about preparing my breakfast in the kitchen about a week or so ago, I laughed loudly, something I don't do often so early in the morning. The slice of bread that I had put in my 30 year old toaster seemed to propel out of the slot and landed on the counter top, toasted and ready to eat. Later, I told Barry about the incident and he thought it was amusing. He told a co-worker who thought it was cool.

Then, I thought that the old toaster might catch on fire. So, Barry bought a new white modern one with wide slots. I thought when I saw it that it wasn't going to work with the thin sliced bread I like to toast. And, sure enough, the bread came out toasted too much on one side and not at all on the other. The directions said the wide slots were perfect for warming bagels Obviously, it wasn't good for toasted bread. I don't know why the appliance makers don't call them bagel warmers and go back to making toasters for thin bakery bread.

To sum this up. Barry repaired the old toaster and shined the chrome cover and it looks and works like new. I just hope the old toaster lasts as long as I do.

Since I still haven't got a flu shots, I read with interest an article in the Feb. 2006 issue pf Good Housekeeping about ways to avoid catching the flu. Wash your hands, get enough sleep, and boost your immunity with some healthy foods listed in the article. The first listed is citrus fruits. I drink orange juice every day which is all you need as the article points out that you don't need a megadose.

Other tips are to eat beef, dark-meat poultry and pork,orange veggies, almonds and sunflower seeds and drink tea. The article goes into detail about these foods.

I have almost fallen several times lately but was able to regain my balance and I attribute this to the balance exercises I do nearly every day. The physical therapists who helped me after my serious fall last spring taught me the exercises and I really think they are very helpful.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home