Monday, January 30, 2006

TOPICS ON MY MIND....

By OLIVENE GODFREY

My jonquils are up and are budding and Barry and I saw our first robin this week. For us those are harbingers of spring even though some experts don't agree with us. The warm weather we have been having probably won't last but the jonquils and the robins always give me hope that spring in all its glory will
arrive on time here in the northwest Georgia high country.

The mail this week brought a letter from my cousin, Ernestine, and a picture of her 102-year old mother, my Aunt Helen, and two of her great-great grand babies. Ernestine reported that Aunt Helen still recognizes all the family members and is doing well. Aunt Helen is a remarkable woman who has always enjoyed good health and lived alone until she was nearly 100.

I have been having a little pain in my right shoulder and arm that were broken last April. I know it healed fine as I saw the x-rays and I am able to do everything I always could with my arm. At first, I thought of phantom pain but then I remembered that phantom pain may occur in any of the limbs of a person's body after having an amputation of the respective parts. And there are a lot of suggested causes for it. But, Barry looked up post-fracture pain which may be what I have been having
in my arm and shoulder. While therapy and various casting may help the bones heal, injured tendons and ligaments may not have healed at the same time, which leads to pain, according to the Internet. And that makes sense to me.

Recently, Barry came across a packet of old letters I had saved as they were replies to my letters to relatives and friends when I announced that I was pregnant after 12 childless years of marriage to my late husband, Ralph. The letters were warm and loving and funny and caused me to feel nostalgic for that time in my life.

Since we cook a lot in our Crock Pot and Barry has the job of cleaning the pot after cooking a pot roast which was a tedious job until now. We discovered the new slow cooker liners in the grocery store which work great. If you haven't tried the liners yet, you are in for a pleasant surprise. I am cooking a pot roast today in the Crock pot with little red potato wedges which should make a good supper with a green salad.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home