Tuesday, May 02, 2017

OLD TIME STORIES

May 2, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

Barry and I have had a quiet weekend at home.  I haven't felt the best but hope tomorrow will be better.
My late husband, Ralph, was one of the best men I've ever known.  He wasn't perfect.  For instance, he was quite a cusser.  When he knew he was dying, he would often cry and say he was worried about "Little Barry."  I assured him Barry would be fine.  Ralph would be proud of the man Barry has become.  This past weekend, I didn't feel well, and he lovingly took care of me.
Our good friend, Larry, likes to hear my stories about "old times."  I remember after the GI's came home following World War II that guys and my girlfriends would gather at our house about an hour before church started on Sunday nights.  We didn't have much money but could afford cheese sandwiches.  My mother would make a large platter of sandwiches and two pitcher's of ice water.  We used to say the large crowds must have come for the "company", not the food.
There were two restaurants where people who worked or lived in Dalton ate lunch.  The U. S. Cafe and Oakwood.  Both were on Main Street.  The last I heard there is still an Oakwood in Dalton.
I remember when the Wink Theater in Dalton was new.  It was the place you and your date went to at least once a week.  Two or three, first rate movies were shown weekdays and a western on Saturday.  It was closed on Sunday.
The place where young people "hung out" was at the "Snack Bar" in the building next to the Wink.  There was a juke box and booths and I believe stools.  Most people "table hopped".  If you didn't have a date when you went in, a guy would usually walk or drive you home.
In those days some church's believed it was a terrible sin to go to a movie.  I think it's ironic that the Wink building is now owned by a church.
I also found it amusing that some of those preachers who disapproved of the movies were the most ardent TV fans.  In fact, after Ralph and I got a TV our pastor came to our house several times to "watch a little TV".  I worked at a job and had chores to do at night and he aggravated me.  I think he finally got him a TV.
See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home