Thursday, April 13, 2017

EASTER MANY YEARS AGO

April 13, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

I was remembering an Easter Sunday during World War II when I was a teenager.  My mother was a needle genius and she made mine and my twin sisters clothes.  Everything it seemed like was rationed.  Our old car "died" and we had to walk everywhere we went.  We lived on the outskirts of Calhoun, Georgia and walked on the sidewalks most everywhere, including to our Methodist Church.

My daddy was out of town that Sunday.  My mother, the twins, Joan and Jeanette, and I walked to church, I was about 17 and the twins were 13.  That year, they wore their first high heels.  After church, the twins left early and got ahead of us.  As mother and I approached them, they were sitting on the curb.  They had removed their heels and rayon stockings.  We couldn't get nylon stockings during that time due to the war.  The nylon was used for parachutes.  I remember mother and I having a good laugh.

I live in my nightgown and housecoat these days.  I had worn nylon gowns for many years.  Then when I lost weight they were too large.  So, Tam ordered me some new smaller ones which are a cotton blend.  I love them.  My bath nurse, Connie, had assured me I would.

I want to express how your comments warm my heart and continue to assure me I haven't been forgotten.  Happy Easter everyone!

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home