Tuesday, April 04, 2017

DREAM BECAME REALITY

April 4, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

I've been asked when I started writing.  Actually, I made up little stories in my mind before I learned to read or write.  When I was six or seven my daddy gave me a notebook to write my stories in.  Sometimes during the summer, I would lay on my back in a sage field and dream of being a newspaper reporter.  (Years later, this dream became reality.)

When I was nine, I wrote a play for the neighborhood children to perform in my daddy's small barn that was no longer in use.  The play was presented to the parents and a two cent admission was charged.

We rehearsed for several weeks.  Finally, I felt the cast was ready to perform.  My mother sewed the costumes and provided a bed sheet for a curtain.  My identical twin sisters, Joan and Jeanette, were "actors" in the play.  Jeanette had a speaking line.  She was what was known as a "corker".  On the big day, I was excited.  We had chairs set up for the audience.  We had a "full house".  The play was supposed to be a serious drama.  And I, the director was happy with the way the actors were performing, when suddenly I heard Jeanette say in a loud voice, "Oh, you make me flutter".  The line was supposed to be "You flatter me".  I was furious!  The parents were laughing and clapping their hands.  Jeanette was beaming!  She turned out to be the star!

Many years later I showed the play to a professional writer who told me the format was quite professional.  I had never seen a written play manuscript.  I never wrote another play.  I have worked for several newspapers over the years.  I have also published several articles for different magazines.  I wrote several novels that have been published.  Tam is working on re-typing a novel that I wrote in the 80's.  We hope it will be ready for publication soon.  It is set against the North Georgia multimillion dollar carpet industry.

My sister, Jeanette, is four years younger than me and lives in Dalton.  Her daughter, Charlene, lives nearby.  Jeanette has a bunch of grand and great grand children, and recently became a great, great grandmother.  Joan passed away many years ago.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home