Tuesday, January 17, 2017

ANOTHER TRIP TO THE ER

January 17, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

As I write this, I am in extreme pain.  I decided to post my latest health problems while I'm still functioning somewhat.

As many of you know I have the hellish COPD which causes my feet to swell so I have to take water pills.  A few days ago, my feet became quite swollen.  Tam called my doctor who increased my lasix.  They told us to give it 3 days and if they didn't go down to let them know.  On Saturday the right foot had gone down to normal but, the left foot was still very swollen and had a reddish rash on the top.  Since it was a Saturday, Barry called the home health nurse who was concerned that it could possibly be a blood clot.

Before I knew what was happening, Barry took me to the local hospital.  After examining me, the ER doctor had me in an ambulance to transport me to Gordon County Hospital in Calhoun.  Our local hospital wasn't equipped for my needs.  I've only been transported by ambulance a few times but, it's always been a painful experience.  The ride is so uncomfortable.  I thought I wouldn't live through it.  You would think a vehicle to transport people that are hurt or in pain would be more comfortable.  I am still aching from the ride.  The attendants were nice, it's the ambulance that I'm critical of.

The good news is I don't have a blood clot.  Also, my heart and even my lungs were clear, according to the ultrasound, which found everything perfect.  The reason for the swelling and rash is cellulitis, which is an infection of the skin.  They gave me a penicillin shot and a prescription for an antibiotic.  When Barry and I returned home it was dark.  We ate a snack and went to bed and slept 10 hours.  We were both worn out.

Since I'm a diabetic I have to watch my feet closely.  There used to be an office that cared for the feet of diabetic patients.  My toenails need cutting now.  Does anyone know if this service is offered around the Chatsworth area?

My foot is some better but not completely well.  I'm afraid the antibiotic has upset my stomach.  See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home