Monday, March 27, 2017

SWEET MEMORIES

March 27, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

Barry likes to hear me relate the story of when I found out I was pregnant with him.  He suggested I write about it.  I discussed it with Tam, she said it might encourage other women who are trying to have a child.

I was married at 19 years old.  Barry, my only child, was born when I was 32 years old.  Doctors told me there was no physical reason why I couldn't bear a child.  But, it didn't happen.

My late husband, Ralph and I, lived in Dalton, Georgia.  I worked in an office and Ralph was a TV repairman.  In 1957 we moved to Florida.  At the time Barry was born, we lived in a nice duplex on the beach at Treasure Island.  I wasn't working at the time and just taking it easy.  My Aunt Helen who is now deceased, was visiting us.  She was with us for three weeks and we had such a good time.  I was concerned about how tired I was every day.  When she left, I saw my doctor.  He was examining me when he came to stand beside me.  He said, "You're pregnant!"  I blurted out, "You're kidding!"

I remember driving our 1957 Chevrolet across the causeway from St. Petersburg to Treasure Island with a huge smile on my face.  I could hardly wait for Ralph to come home.  He had rode home with a friend that day.  They sat in the car for 30 minutes talking!  When he did come in, I told him we were having a baby and he was happy but almost in shock.

Now Ralph is gone.  I am 89 and like the old adage, the child becomes the parent is true as Barry takes care of me.  Barry and I agree that it would be way hard if God hadn't sent us Tam.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home