Friday, May 19, 2017

MORE MEMORIES

May 19, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

I was thinking this week what it would have been like if my late husband, Ralph, hadn't bought a used Oldsmobile 88 with an automatic transmission in 1953.  No matter how I tried, I couldn't drive a car with a straight shift.

I loved that car.  It gave me freedom.  I recently wrote a blog about our little doll house in a rural area.  Before we got the Oldsmobile 88 and I started driving, I had to ride a shuttle bus home from my job.  Ralph worked as a TV repairman and drove the company truck.  He worked all day on Saturday.  So, I would sleep late and after drinking coffee with toast, I did some cleaning and then took a shower, and got all "dolled up" and drove to downtown Dalton which was were most of my friends were strolling on the sidewalks.  We would stop and chat.  This was before there were shopping centers.

A few thoughts of how that Oldsmobile 88 changed my life.  Our house was located about a half of a mile off of the highway on an unpaved road.  I had to walk on that road when I returned home in the evening.  In those days women who worked in offices wore dresses and heels.  So, I ruined several pairs of shoes walking on that muddy road after bad weather.

Then, a few years later, Ralph, on impulse during his lunch break one day, bought a brand new 1957 Chevrolet which became a classic.  But, that is another story.

I am feeling a bit under the weather today, I would appreciate your prayers.  See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home