Monday, May 22, 2017

EIGHTEEN & FEARLESS

May 22, 2017

By Olivene Godfrey

A few days ago, I told Tam about an "adventure" I had when I was 18 and "fearless".  She suggested I write a blog about it.  Since I wrote a daily column for Dalton's Daily Citizen editorial page for 10 years and have been blogging for several years, I've probably written about it.  But, I'll write a short version today for those who hadn't read it.  I'm omitting names and locations to protect the innocent.
I was working in a city near my home and rode a bus to work on Mondays and back home on Saturdays.  I lived in a girls residence Monday through Friday.  I took my dirty laundry home to do on weekends.
One summer Saturday, the bus was crowded and I had to stand up.  A "nice" older lady offered to hold my laundry bundle.  After awhile I noticed the lady and my laundry was missing.  I asked the bus driver where she got off.  It was a few miles back.  I got off the bus and wearing heels, I walked to the road the woman had gotten off at.  I marched down that dirt road as mad as an old wet hen.  Finally, I came to an old house that had seen better days.  The dirt yard was a mess.  Chickens, dogs, cats, and I seem to recall a goat and several small children moving about the yard.  I marched right up to the door and pounded on it.  The lady came to the door.  I told her she forgot to give me my laundry.  She said she just noticed it.  She gave it to me and I started walking back toward my hometown.
I think God intervened that day.  A young man I knew stopped and offered me a ride to a nearby service station.  I called my daddy who came to take me home.  It took the entire weekend for me to rest enough to go back to work on Monday.  I've never forgotten that adventure.
See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home