Monday, May 23, 2016

MY TAKE ON COUNTRY MUSIC

May 23, 2016

By Olivene Godfrey

When I hear someone talking about a "wonderful country music singer" and that singer is actually a good looking "pop singer", I want to say to that person, "That singer may be a talented singer but he or she is not a country singer."

George Jones is "country."  His record, "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is the most perfect country music song ever recorded.  One other older country singer said about George Jones, "We country music singers would all sing like George Jones if we could."

The new singers are good looking and there isn't anything wrong with their singing.  It just isn't country.  It sounds like "pop" did when I was a teenager back in the 1940's.  I didn't like country music in those days.  I liked the Saturday night, "Your Hit Parade," songs.

I think it's interesting that even in those days, there were some Hank Williams, Sr. songs on the Hit Parade.  I liked Hank's music when I was a teenager.  Later, I became a Kris Kristofferson fan and still am.  It may be that if a song is special it will cross over to other categories.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home