Monday, April 25, 2016

OLD SCARS

April 25, 2016

By Olivene Godfrey

Recently, I bought a pretty new dress on an impulse.  It is a long dress which most of mine are now.  One reason I wear long dresses is I don't like short dresses because my knees have scars from an accident I had over 80 years ago.  The accident was caused by myself.

I lived with my family in East Tennessee.  I was a small child and riding my bike when I suddenly had an impulse to try riding with my hands off the handle bars.  My tiny body was sent over the handle bars.  Blood spurted out of my knees.  When I managed to return home, pushing my bike, my mother "doctored my knees" and bandaged them.  Back then, mother's didn't take their children to a doctor's office.  My mother was upset because I was scheduled to perform, with other children from my elementary school in a play.  She had sewn my costume.  So, that afternoon I performed with my knees bandaged.  It's been 80 plus years, and I still have the scars on my knees.

These days I have arthritis in my knees.  Some days the pain is almost unbearable.  Barry wonders if the pain is caused from my childhood accident.  I don't know if that's why I have arthritis in my deformed hands.

The weather has been wonderful this week.  Our trees have all turned green and the yard looks pretty.  Barry bought new flowers for the patio and took the house plants out to the patio over the weekend.  Happy Spring!

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home