Monday, March 07, 2016

MORE MEMORIES

March 7, 2016

By Olivene Godfrey

"It's crying time again...."  I can feel the familiar pollen invasion in my sinus.  One recent day the tree pollen count was over 2,000.  The urge to sneeze or blow your nose no matter where you are is not pleasant.  For instance, while Tam's daughter, Carrie was cutting my hair last week, I had a strong urge to blow my nose.  Carrie had to step out of the room and I asked Tam for a kleenex which took care of the problem temporarily.

I dreamed last night of the days long ago when young people would "drag main" in Dalton, Georgia and girls would stroll along the sidewalks.  When the young men came home after World War II had ended they joined the game, too.  Back then people of all ages would stroll and window shop on Saturday.  I remember those days well, when I would see old friends.

Then, the malls were built and downtown became a ghost town.  In recent years downtown has opened specialty shops and has special events.  So now the downtown area is once again a place to shop and socialize.

Incidentally, during World War II and for several years after the war, taxi-cabs charged .15 cents to take you anywhere you needed to go in town.  We didn't have a car during those years, so we either walked or called a cab to take us where we needed to go.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (Edited and typed by Tam.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home