Thursday, May 14, 2015

OUR BEAUTIFUL PLANTS

May 14, 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

I had always heard that rose bushes were difficult to grow.  So, I never bought one.  When Tam became my caregiver and much more, she invited Barry and me to visit her and her parents home.  She lives in an adjoining apartment, and they had many knock out rose bushes.  Barry and I admired them and Tam gave me a red knock out rose bush.  Barry researched roses and gave our bush tender loving care.  This spring the bush is healthy and has many roses.  Barry cut a couple of them and put them in a vase in my room.  He keeps the bush fertilized and watered, and it is growing more every day.

The patio plants Barry recently bought are thriving with his tender loving care.  I told him last week when I've passed on I hope he will continue to care for the house plants.  Our season cactus is the largest one I've ever seen.  The asparagus fern I started with a seed in 1978 is also very large and pretty.  The peace lily blooms constantly.

Barry and I were talking yesterday about how different our yard is now from the way it was when we moved here in June 1978.  Our house is situated atop a mountain foothill.  There were only a few trees and the house was extremely hot.  My late husband, Ralph, went out in the woods and dug up saplings and planted them in the yard.  He also planted shrubbery and took good care of them until he became ill with Parkinson's, then Barry took over.  Now the yard is shaded with large trees and shrubbery.  It's not only pretty now but gives us privacy.

With the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II coming up, you may find my novel, Catch The Brass Ring, set on the home front of the war, interesting.  It is also a wartime love story.  The book can be purchased through Amazon, Kindle.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told To Tam.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Vanessa Newton said...

Hi great reading your post

May 24, 2022 at 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home