Thursday, April 30, 2015

SIXTY-EIGHTH ANNIVERSARY

April 30, 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

Sixty-eight years ago, May 1st my late husband, Ralph and I were married in a small chapel in Dalton, Georgia.  The Methodist Church was overflowing with friends and relatives who had traveled far and wide to attend our wedding.  I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Ralph's dad, a Methodist preacher, married us.  My daddy, also a Methodist preacher, gave me away and said a prayer during the ceremony.  My matron of honor was Christine Crutchfield Townsend.  Ralph's best man was J.T. Norton.  My twin sisters, Joan and Jeanette Brashear lit candles during the ceremony.  The ushers were Ralph's brothers, Ray and James.  My high school friend, Betty Jean Edwards Lay sang at the wedding.  Ralph's sister, Agnes Godfrey Nichols played the piano.

The year was 1947 and World War II had ended in 1945.  So, Ralph's dad had his name on a waiting list to purchase a new Chevrolet, and he'd bought the car shortly before the wedding.  He let Ralph and me take the car on our honeymoon.  As we left the church, it was discovered some joker had let the air out of one of the tires.  We had to wait until the tire was changed.  As we left to drive to Atlanta, a car load of my Calhoun friends who attended the wedding followed us to Calhoun.

We checked in as "Mr. And Mrs." at the old Henry Grady Hotel where we spent a short honey moon.

On this May 1st, I feel sad because most of the members of the wedding party have passed away since that May 1, 1947.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Home Renovation Tamarac said...

Thanks for ssharing this

October 16, 2022 at 1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home