Thursday, February 05, 2015

LOOKING FORWARD TO SPRING

February  , 2015

By Olivene Godfrey

In the month of February, I take extra precautions to stay well.  In recent memory, I have been very ill in February.  I've read that more elderly people die this month than any other.  (My dear daddy passed away too soon at the age of sixty-five in February.)

I love spring time in Georgia's high country, with all the greenery and flowers "busting out all over".  It makes me feel poetic and want to kick up my heels and dance a jig!  Can't you just picture an eighty-seven year old woman doing that?  Ha! Ha! Ha!

Barry tells me our jonquils are two or three inches high.  A harbinger that spring will come again.  My late husband, Ralph, planted the jonquils in 1978 and lived to enjoy their yellow and white beauty when in full bloom several times.  Then, a few years ago they stopped blooming.  The plants were green and large, but no blooms.  So, last fall Barry placed dry fertilizer around them and we hope they will bloom this year.

I also look forward to seeing our large forsythia bushes burst in their yellow beauty.  Sometime this month Barry has to prune our large crepe myrtle bush.  When my mother died in 2000, my sister-in-law, Joyce, gave me the plant to be planted in memory of mother.  Joyce has since passed away and the plant is very special to me.

I know the odds are that we'll have more cold winter weather this year, but, thoughts of the glory of spring can help us survive until then.

See you next time.  Comments welcome.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home