Monday, August 12, 2013

A WHIFF OF MEMORY CAN SEND YOUR MIND BACK IN TIME

August 12, 2013

By Olivene Godfrey

Just a whiff of memory can send your mind back in time.  That happened to me this past weekend.  Son, Barry and I were talking about the recent sale of my novel, "Seasons" and he said when he was a kid, he thought everyone's mother was a writer.  He asked when I knew I was a writer.  I told him it seems to me that I was born with story plots that just come to me.

Before I learned to read, my daddy, bless him, read the "funnies" in the newspaper to me.  After I learned to read, I read the daily newspaper every day.  Once, when my parents set up a budget to try to save some money, daddy canceled the delivery of the paper.  I was usually a good natured child.  But, when I discovered the newspaper had been canceled, I threw an awful tantrum, upsetting daddy so much, he started taking the paper again.  During those early years, my love affair with newspapers began.

At the age of nine, I wrote, produced and directed a play for the neighborhood children to perform in my daddy's barn.  We charged three cents admission and the parents seemed to love it.  I thought the play was a serious drama, but the parents seemed to think it was a comedy, as they laughed a lot.  I didn't know how to take that at nine, but it was a learning experience.

I still loved fiction and I filled a notebook with my little stories.  (I wish I had saved them.)  As a teenager, I read everything I could find about journalism.  I wasn't able to go to college, so I tried to educate myself.

There have been times when most of my writing was letters to relatives and friends.  I guess I had to do a heap of living before I could write fiction.

Several newspaper editors helped me to learn the rules of journalism.  I've had several thousand by-lined articles published in newspapers and magazines.  And, I'm grateful to those editors.

I've had four novels published (three in Germany) and my recent "Seasons".  I have several other novels I hope to have published and pray I'll still be around then.

I thank those who have bought "Seasons" and hope they enjoy it.  I haven't had any feedback on the book, which worries me.  Comments welcome.

See you next time.  (As told to Tam)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home