Wednesday, August 31, 2011




Reflections on memory, marigolds and More

By Olivene Godfrey

The patio flowers have that summer "droop" except for the marigolds which are at the peak of their blooming. Son Barry made pictures of the marigolds so we could share them with you.

I read an interesting article last weekend in USA Weekend written by Madonna Behan. She wrote that "neuroscientists are making great strides in unlocking the mysteries of why we forget--and Identifying techniques to help us to remember. The article lists seven ways you can improve your memory now. I was interested in an insert which asked, "Is it Alzheimer's?". and told the differences between signs of Alzheimer's and typical age-related change. In recent years, I sometimes forget which word to use. And, according to the chart, that is an age related change. The sign of Alzheimer's is "difficulty having a conversation." I guess all seniors worry that forgetting things may be early signs of the dreaded disease.

One of the seven ways to improve your memory is to get a good night's sleep. A study at Stanford University suggests that even getting a full eight hours of sleep can impair your ability to remember if that sleep is fragmented or frequently interrupted. The authors wrote that,"Regardless of the total amount of sleep, a minimal unit of uninterrupted sleep is crucial for memory consolidation. "And I've found that to be true. Sometimes I only get about six hours of "dead to the world" sleep and I feel better than when I sleep eight or nine hours.

I use a mental association with a word I"m having difficulty remembering. An example is the word,"vertigo", which I have trouble remembering since my "vertigo fall" awhile back. I think of the name, "Verne", and the word vertigo almost always pops into my mind.

Son Barry and I think of our wonderful helper, Tam as a family member now. Tam's beloved mother, Sue, is bravely fighting cancer and we are praying for her and family. We'd also be grateful if you would add Sue and her family to your prayer lists.

Barry is still enjoying his new job and especially likes the shorter work week. And its always rewarding when your work is appreciated by your employers.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home