Saturday, June 27, 2009

I'M BACK & GLAD TO BE ABLE TO TALK TO YOU TODAY

By OLIVENE GODFREY
a
I'm glad to be able to talk to you today. I'm still not feeling great but hope I will feel better soon.

Since son Barry and I both have arthritis in our hands we're always looking for every day solutions to problems with using our hands. My arthritic hands are worse than Barry's but he has made some changes recently that has helped both of us. For instance, we have iced tea for supper every night and we like large glasses chocked full of ice cubes which makes the glasses very cold and slippery in our hands. Barry found some large acrylic glasses with handles on one side and bought four of them for us and they work like a charm.

Barry also found plastic pitchers used for juice and milk with handles that are less likely to be dropped or spilled than the original containers. Barry has purchased a variety of gadgets that assist us with opening cans, jars and bottles.

--------------------------------------

I recently watched a gospel singing group on television who were discussing a question surely all us have asked, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" I liked the observation made by one of the group as follows, "When Mother Teresa was asked what the first words would be when she saw the Lord when she went to heaven, Mother Teresa replied, 'Lord, you have some explaining to do .'" The gist of the discussion was that during bad times, the Lord will walk beside you and hold your hand and won't forsake you.

----------------------------------------------

I recently received an e-mail from my sister-in-law, Joyce who lives on the shore of a popular lake in Northeast Georgia. She and her late husband, Ray, built a cabin with a sandy beach and boat dock below their beautiful home years ago. Their three daughters and their families still spend time there playing in the sand and water and spending the nights on bunk beds in the cabin. Over the years, the extended families of Ray and Joyce spent time at the cabin, too. I remember when Barry was a little boy he loved to go over there and play in the sand and sleep on a bunk bed. I have many memories of Godfrey reunions held there and a lot of memories have been and continue to be made at the cabin. My late husband, Ralph, also spent time over there when he and Ray would go fishing in Ralph's boat.

-----------------------------------------
Our wonderful neighbor, Genevelyn, brought us a bag of fresh green beans from her garden. Green beans cooked Southern style is Barry's favorite vegetable and when I cooked the beans last week for supper one night, he ate until he nearly popped.
See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home