Monday, June 26, 2006

THE RAINS CAME, REFRESHING THE EARTH

By OLIVENE GODFREY

Officials declared drought conditions for Georgia
last week and imposed outdoor water restrictions.
On the first day of summer, the temp on our patio in
the shade hit 95 degrees. The grass had turned brown
and the foliage, including our huge forsythia bushes
were looking wilted. And all around us, communities
were having scattered showers and thunderstorms but
we didn't get a drop of rain.

And then last Saturday night, the rains came down in
torrents here and there was little lightning or wind ,
just beautiful rain. On Sunday morning, a light rain
fell for several hours and at intervals in the afternoon.
Our rain guage showed that we got about two inches
of rain, with more rain forecast for today (Monday)
and tomorrow. Already the grass and foliage look
refreshed and pretty. We hope the rains will continue
to come.

I read in the paper this morning that our county isn't
in a drought, says a weather expert, and that if we
get occasional rain we won't need any water restrictions.
I hope that is a true prediction.

-----------------------------------

I've written before of the catnaps I take in my recliner
I have suffered from insomnia for many years and sometimes
when I wake up in the wee hours of the morning, I am tempted
to get up and stretch out in my recliner and see if sleep
will come.

I don't know the reason for my insomnia as my bed is
comfortable and only a few feet away from my adjoining
bathroom. Since most of my catnapping in the recliner
is done after supper, often with the television on,
I am sleepy when I retire for the night and usually
fall asleep quickly then. But, most mornings I wake
up real early and toss and turn until I finally get
up like I did this morning and go around for several
hours half-asleep.

-----------------------------

My sister, Jeanette, who lives in nearby Dalton, told
me last week in a phone conversation that her great-
grandson, Brandon, went with her to the grocery store
that day. He had picked up a box of those delectable
Krispy Kreme doughnuts and put them in her shopping
buggy. She knows the doughnuts are a no-no to dieters like
most of us are these days. But, I guess the temptation
that day was too strong . Jeanette said that as
soon as she and Brandon were seated in the car, they binged
on the doughnuts. And she added that she was paying for it
with a spell of indigestion.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home