Monday, May 22, 2006

THE VOICE OF THE TURTLE IS HEARD IN OUR LAND....

By OLIVENE GODFREY

"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone,
The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing
of birds is coming and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land...." - Ecclesiastes- Son of Solomon-2:10-12.

I woke up early yesterday (Sunday)morning and lay still
for a few minutes, trying to figure out why I felt different.
And then it dawned on me. I was free of pain. I was almost
afraid to move a muscle. I even wondered if I was having
a hallucination. When I convinced myself I was really awake,
I got up and went through my morning ritual. I had a few
twinges of pain and I felt more normal. I think the warm
weather we're finally having also helped my health. Whatever the reason, I felt better than I had in years.

The previous night and early morning we had fierce thunderstorms
which I mostly slept through. The sun came out and everything
looked fresh and pretty but more showers and storms were
forecast for the day. Barry and I decided to eat an early
lunch at Dalton's Western Sizzlin. We had a pleasant drive over there and ate a delicious lunch off the buffet bar
and as usual I ate more than I should have despite my resolve to eat only small portions of food. I dropped a morsel of food on my silk,shantung jacket at the restaurant. When we returned home, Barry washed the jacket on the hand wash cycle of the machine and dried it on low and it came out looking like new.

Earlier, we had stopped at the cemetery in Chatsworth and
left a patriotic, artificial flower arrangement in the
vase on my late husband's grave for Memorial day. He was a World War 11 veteran and we have put red, white and blue flowers on his grave since his death August 20, 2002.

Also, on the weekend, I went again with Barry to the grocery store. I walked all over the huge store and got my walking exercise in that day. Barry and a friend also carried the
plants that had spent the winter in the garage to the patio.
Now the patio looks pretty but it will look better when all of the plants have grown more. Barry prunes all of the plants in the fall. The geranium and impatient plants are with the
red poinsettia that I have had since last November which is pretty but startling looking with the new summer plants.

When I was young and slender, I loved banana splits and ice cream sundaes. I hadn't eaten them in years. So, one recent day, I decided to fix a banana split, using low carb,no sugar, ice cream and toppings. I did cheat a little as I drizzled a little chocolate syrup on the top of the concoction. It was delicious but I wouldn't want to eat it every day. I also buy ice cream cones and eat the sugar free, no carb, ice cream
in them which makes a nice snack on hot days.

AS I write this it is cloudy and more showers and storms are forecast for today and tonight. Since we have had several lightning strikes at our house, we un-plug everything electrical before the storm gets too bad. So, I wanted to write this early before the storms hit.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home