Tuesday, April 11, 2006

BEING CAREFUL ON ANNIVERSARY OF ACCIDENT

By OLIVENE GODFREY

A year ago today (April 10), I fell from an elevated
sidewalk to the paved street below, breaking my right
shoulder and arm, requiring lots of doctor visits, weeks of physical therapy and pain and frustration. My broken bones healed nicely but I still have a balance problem. It seems better since I continue to do the exercises the physical therapist taught me and I use a cane to walk.

The fall was a traumatic experience for son Barry and for me. I'm not superstitious but I have worried about this day for weeks now and I am trying to be extra careful today.

I hadn't been outside the house in several weeks and I was determined to have a Sunday outing yesterday. I felt fairly well except the usual problems with my irritable bowel syndrome.
When I go to a new restaurant or other public places, I find out as soon as possible the location of the restrooms.

Barry drove us to Ryan's in Dalton for an early lunch off of their bountiful buffet. I ate small portions of the delicious foods. After lunch, Barry drove us the short distance to a mall. We had brought my wheelchair and I needed it. We stopped by
MasterCuts for quick haircuts. I told the hair stylist to
cut my hair a little different than I have worn it for a while which prompted us to compare the many hairstyles we have had and the many colors we've put on our hair over the years.
Since I have lived a lot longer than she has, I think I topped her. I stopped using color on my hair a number of years ago as I grew weary of taking care of it. I let my hair go natural and now it is gray around my face and streaked in the back.
And I don't worry about the gray. Actually, I sorta like it.

I enjoyed the drive yesterday as spring is busting out all over, as the old song goes. The trees and foliage in Dalton is a couple of weeks ahead of us here in the mountain foothills as it makes the landscape that fresh green. Everywhere we looked, we saw dogwood trees in bloom and they are so beautiful. Unfortunately,
all that greenery plays havoc with our allergies. The weather yesterday was crystal clear but on the chilly side with cold temps the past two nights. I guess this is Dogwood winter
and it won't last long.

Have a happy Easter weekend.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home