Monday, April 24, 2006

THE RAINS CAME & THEN SUNSHINE & NOW SPRING IN ALL ITS GREEN GLORY IS HERE IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

By OLIVENE GODFREY

We were needing rain and last week thunderstorms brought
torrents of rain and then sunshine came and the trees and foliage and grass are lush and the greenest green imaginable. Despite
my allergy, I love springtime here in northwest Georgia.

Barry had planted wildflower seeds in a large patio pot last
week and the little shoots are pushing up through the soil now and yesterday, Barry planted more of the seeds in an area near the patio. And we are looking forward to wildflower blossoms and tiny hummingbirds hovering over the flowers as they gather their nectar. I recently read that red and orange flowers draw hummingbirds to the flowers. I have a red impatiens plant every year and the tiny birds like it.

I read in the paper a week or two ago about how a wall of trees can be a windbreaker for houses and other buildings. We can testify to the truth of that statement. When we moved to our house 28 years ago, we were sitting up on our hill with only a few small trees except for a wooded area near our property.
As I have written before, my late husband, Ralph, planted small trees near the house to provide shade and beauty and they
have grown large and beautiful. But the wall of large, tall trees at the edge of our front yard just seem to come up randomly until they formed a tree windbreaker. We are in the path of a wind tunnel that comes down the mountain and the wind used to blow so hard that we worried that we would blow away.
Now, we can tell the difference with the tree windbreaker
when the wind howls here. Most of the trees native to this region are represented in our tree wall.

Our beautiful view is blocked somewhat during the spring and summer months but when the trees are bare of leaves we can
still see the farm lake, house and barn, that is so picturesque with the mountains just beyond.

On our Sunday outing yesterday, Barry drove us on the scenic two lane road to Dalton. After a delicious lunch at the Western Sizzler buffet, we drove the short distance to the home of my sister, Jeanette, and her husband, Charles. Their great-grandson, Bryson, was visiting them and played with
children next door most of the time we were there. Barry did a little plumbing job for them while Jeanette and I chatted
a while. I might add that I had taken a water pill which is prescribed for my high blood pressure. But, I was wishing
I had not taken it yesterday by the time we got home.
I had been to the restroom once at the restaurant and went several times at Jeanette's house and continued that
nuisance the remainder of the afternoon. Last night, I was
exhausted and after eating a bowl of oatmeal for supper,
I rested in my recliner, falling asleep, until about eight-thirty when I decided to go to bed. After a good night's sleep
I am feeling like getting the chores done for today.

See you next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home